Navigation

Thursday, November 18, 2010

Concert Review: Dredg & Circa Survive

On Sunday, November 7, I had the opportunity to see two bands I love on one bill and it was a magical night! This was my first time seeing Circa Survive live, and about my 5th time seeing Dredg. Animals As Leaders and Codeseven opened up this spectacular show at the Regency Ballroom in San Francisco.


Being a huge Dredg fan, I was most excited for their set. After hanging out in the bar with a variety of Dredg friends and fans, we went into the main room, found a good spot about halfway down the room, center stage, and braced ourselves for the music journey about to take place. With only a 30 minute set, Dredg focused on playing songs off their new album, The Pariah, the Parrot, the Delusion; with "Pariah," "Lightswitch," and "Savior" being the stand-out songs. Not letting their fans down, Dredg opened the set with their hits "Bug Eyes" and "Same Ol' Road," plus they threw in "Ode To The Sun" later on. One highlight was getting to hear a new song off their upcoming album due out in March 2011. It was a bit too drum and bass heavy for me compared to the melodic art rock I've come to love from the band, but I still enjoyed the overall composition of the song. I ran into bassist Drew Roulette in the lobby after their set and he mentioned that the new album is heavier and very danceable. One thing I've hoped for every time I've seen Dredg is for them to sing my favorite song "Matroshka (The Ornament)" off their album Catch Without Arms -- maybe someday I will finally have the pleasure seeing them play that song live!


By the time Circa Survive hit the stage, the venue was filled with excitement and the room was packed. I discovered Circa Survive a few years ago through some friends who kept playing On Letting Go in the background at parties. It was only recently that I finally heard songs off their newest album Blue Sky Noise. Front-man Anthony Green is probably one of the most energetic and magnetic performers I have ever seen!! He literally OWNS the stage, dancing, running, and leaping around in every direction, giving one of of the most heart-felt, emotional performances you can imagine. I was really surprised that 90% of the audience knew every lyric to every song, singing them so loud, they almost drowned out Anthony's vocals over the speakers! Witnessing a non-mainstream band have an audience that mesmerized that they hung on to every word was an experience in itself. A few moments that really stood out during their set were: 1) when Animals As Leaders guitarist Tosin Abasi joined the band on stage for "The Glorious Nosebleed"; 2) when approximately 15 'Creature Club' fanclub members came out to sing background vocals during "Spirit in the Stairwell"; and 3) when they threw out 10-20 huge balloons filled with confetti and lights into the audience that kept bouncing around and finally popping all over the place. Anthony even hugged one of the giant balloons, which was quite a sight! The night ended perfectly with Circa's newest hit "I Felt Free" and the audience just went wild.

A truly exhilarating and unforgettable show with so many talented bands! I would also like to thank my friend Melissa Ashley for taking the awesome photos above!

-Barbara-

No comments:

Post a Comment